Diversity and Inclusion Statement
“Level Up Your Data” is committed to championing a culture of diversity, equity, and inclusion in the world of data and tech.
The vibrant diversity of our attendees, speakers, and organisers is our most precious asset at “Level Up Your Data”. Individual experiences, backgrounds, knowledge, creativity, innovation, self-expression, unique skills, and talents converge to significantly enrich our culture, reputation, and ultimately, the success of our event.
We embrace and encourage the unique differences among our participants. This includes distinctions in age, colour, disability, ethnicity, family or marital status, gender identity or expression, language, national origin, physical and mental ability, political affiliation, race, religion, sexual orientation, socio-economic status, veteran status, and all the other unique characteristics that make our attendees special and unique.
“Level Up Your Data” proudly aligns its diversity and inclusion strategy with the principles set out in the Queensland Reconciliation Action Plan. We deeply acknowledge and respect the significant role of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples in shaping Australian culture and history, and their impactful contributions to the broad landscape of data science and technology.
Our diversity and inclusion initiatives apply to our practices and policies on event programming and planning; speaker selection; training and development; promotions; networking; social and recreational programs; and the ongoing development of a conference environment built on gender and diversity equity that promotes and enforces:
- Inclusive communication and cooperation among all participants.
- Teamwork and participant engagement, allowing representation from all groups and participant perspectives.
In keeping with these principles, we pledge the following for all “Level Up Your Data” events:
- We’ll put together event planning committees that are appropriately diverse, taking into account the specific requirements and characteristics of each event.
- We’ll take proactive steps to ensure that event planning discussions include everyone, and that every voice is heard.
- We won’t organise any single-gender panels as part of our events.
- Speaker lists for all “Level Up Your Data” events will be gender-balanced and will also reflect ethnic and geographical diversity.
- We’ll take practical steps to make our events accessible to all, for example, by providing subtitles or sign language interpreters or pre-reading materials for those with diverse learning styles.
- We’ll conduct voluntary Diversity & Inclusion surveys of all our event attendees to track diversity and the extent to which people from all backgrounds, including Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander attendees, feel included.
All participants, speakers, and organisers at “Level Up Your Data” are responsible for treating others with dignity and respect at all times. All individuals are expected to show conduct that reflects inclusion during the event, at event functions on or off the event site, and all other event-sponsored and participative events.
Inappropriate conduct or behaviour against others won’t be tolerated, and anyone found to have shown such behaviour may be subject to appropriate action. Individuals who believe they’ve been subjected to any form of discrimination that conflicts with the event’s diversity policy and initiatives should seek help from an event organiser or staff member.